- Organize your improvement files. Review warranties and product manuals to check on recommended maintenance for furnace, equipment, appliances and tools. Mark your calendar to track scheduled upkeep and service. Inspect furniture, cabinets and vanities for loose knobs, pulls and hinges.
- Inspect furniture, cabinets and vanities for loose knobs, pulls and hinges. Tighten or repair as necessary. Lubricate squeaky door hinges with lightweight machine oil. Free sticky doors by trimming edges or shimming edges with thin pieces of cardboard.
- Make a room-by-room inventory of everything in your house. In the event of fire, flood or other disaster, it will be important in filing an insurance claim. Photographs or video of your possessions can also be helpful.
- Double-check insulation around exterior pipes that are exposed to freezing weather to be certain that water cannot seep under the insulation.
- Best month to buy furniture even better than July.